We are always interested in hearing from talented people who love engaging the community. Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a brief cover letter detailing your work communicating with the public, writing, and supporting client accounts, as well as any relevant interest in the client base at Stepherson & Associates.
Stepherson & Associates is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Community Outreach and Communications Specialist
We’re looking for a community outreach specialist with strong communications skills and a background in project management to join our team. Candidates must have demonstrated experience working with clients to develop and implement effective communications and outreach plans, in addition to strong writing and organizational skills.
3-5 years of experience in public relations, communications, community outreach, or related work, including 2+ years’ account/project management experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience working with public agencies, preferably the City of Seattle or surrounding jurisdictions, King County and/or State of Washington
- Experience working for a public relations firm
- Ability to facilitate meetings and make presentations
- Ability both to work independently and to collaborate with a team
- Experiencing engaging diverse populations
- Strong relationship building and listening skills
- Familiarity with Seattle and local government
- Familiarity with the architecture/engineering/construction industry
- Ability to manage social media campaigns
- Comfort working on high-profile and sometimes controversial issues and/or projects
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Journalism, English, Communications, Political Science or related field
Ideal candidate will also have experience engaging the public around environmental review and design processes.
Manage and grow client relationships
- Partner with clients to understand organizational and public engagement objectives
- Develop and execute comprehensive public engagement plans
- Coordinate account activities and manage budgets
- Lead client meetings, deliver presentations and facilitate client discussions
Support client communications efforts
- Create internal work plans and project reports
- Manage website content
- Respond to community/stakeholder inquiries and concerns
- Coordinate social media presence
- Create and edit collateral material
- Plan and implement events
Perform day-to-day communications and public outreach for ongoing projects
- Make regular site visits
- Serve as point of contact for community questions and concerns
- Conduct door-to-door outreach and meetings with project area stakeholders
- Draft notices, media advisories, and web updates
- Conduct internal and stakeholder reporting
- Draft formal correspondence
This position will require some evening and weekend work.
Stepherson & Associates Communications offers competitive benefits that include health (medical, dental, vision) and disability coverage; retirement plan with company match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; and other paid time off provisions that promote work/life balance and community involvement.