S&A provided communications and outreach services from planning through construction for this multi-phase, multi-agency, award-winning bridge project. From 2014 to 2022, we worked with SDOT to raise awareness of the project among area residents, businesses, and institutions, and to support a community-centered design process. We heard from thousands of people in North Seattle neighborhoods through public meetings, in-person and online open houses, drop-in sessions and surveys, community briefings, and tabling events. During construction, we kept project neighbors, the local community and the travelling public apprised of progress and prepared them for construction impacts. We developed and distributed construction updates through multiple channels.
To commemorate the completion of the John Lewis Memorial Bridge and in partnership with Sound Transit’s Northgate Link Extension opening, our team planned a community-centered grand opening event that attracted more than 300 people for remarks from agency and community partners, and over 1,500 people walking the new bridge throughout opening day.
- 10 community events
- 50+ online community briefings
- 17 community tabling events
- 9 design drop-in events attended by 500+ community members
- Project email listserv of 1,000+ people
- Mobile display at 12 community locations
- Materials translated into 5 languages
- 75+ public-facing documents
- 1 successful project groundbreaking with former Mayor Jenny Durkan, Councilmember Juarez and other prominent leaders and elected officials
- 3 construction drop-in sessions attended by 250+ people
- 20+ construction updates via email
- 1 successful grand opening and ribbon cutting featuring 10 speakers from agencies, partners, leaders, and community groups